Collecting Time

antique-desk

PHOTO PROMPT Copyright โ€“ Jan Wayne Fields

“Well? Whaddya think?”

“It’s … nice. But honey … can’t you collect snowglobes? Or music boxes or stamps?”

“I prefer to collect that which can’t be collected: Time, history, moments.”

“Hourglasses!” she said. “You can collect hourglasses! Like the sands of an hourglass, so are the days of our lives!”

He laughed. “It’s not the object that matters, honey: It’s the action. Imagine the many souls who may have sat at this desk, penning letters to distant lovers, perhaps off fighting in the Civil War.”

“Whatever you say, honey.” She caught a glimpse of a barely perceptible faded IKEA logo and smiled.

This entry was posted in General Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Collecting Time

1. Dear Zombie,

I guess he can imagine if he wants to. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Nice one.

shalom,

2. Hey, I need to find a suitable unpronounceable Swedish name for that one..

How about “Prรคnta” – (means to write)

3. Sandra says:

๐Ÿ™‚ Ignorance is bliss. I hope he didn’t pay a lot for it though. Nicely done.

4. Thereโ€™s a sucker born every minute.

5. Perhaps snow globes . . . .

6. Nice! I guess history is in the eye of the beholder. ๐Ÿ™‚ It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they pawn their antique statues and find that they are liquor bottles from the 70s.

7. Sweet piece, and “oh so true to my life story!” Just bought an “old” coffee can rusted and beaten filled with dirt, springs, nuts, and nails. Took it home to show my wife my prize then she commented on the plastic lid it had on the bottom. . .

• Hah hah hah! ๐Ÿ˜€

In a related story, my family always seemed to have a tradition of throwing out anything that might one day be of value, like an antique desk, and keeping all the crap. After my dad died years and years ago, I found all kinds of shitty plastic 110 cameras in his stuff, but damn if I could find the old, collapsible (and now every valuable) Polaroid camera.

• . . go figure. And they tink we are the strange ones. If you ever have the time come see my blog. Or don’t if you don’t like to laugh at true stories of dumb men! Hey I may just rename my blog that. .

8. What only matters is what one thinks things are, not what they are.
    Wait, I think I have that backwards.

Good story.
    Randy

9. An amusing finish to your tale sir. Good job

10. elmowrites says:

Oh dear, this is going to be a costly hobby!

11. seanfallon01 says:

Good work ๐Ÿ™‚ Nice ending

12. rgayer55 says:

We watch Antique Roadshow a lot. It always amazes me the great lengths people go on reproductions and how easy it is to get suckered. Those poor folks deflate like a punctured balloon when the appraiser tells them it’s worthless. I just grin.

• I collect certain early American gold coins and silver dollars. There are factories in China that churn scary counterfeits out. I’ve seen pictures of such a factory after it was raided: One person would operate a die, another person is dedicated to dinging up coins, another stains them, etc.. The one factory made counterfeits for the best coins of at least ten countries.

13. P.S. Joshi says:

Zombie, Let him be happy. It’s valuable to him. I remember a rifle my dad sent to South America for. He happily sat and told what the different scars in the wood might have been from. He could see the battle in his mind. Humorous and well written. ๐Ÿ™‚ —Susan

14. storydivamg says:

Dear Zombie,
    I love the ending! What an imagination your collector has. I hope his significant other keeps the secret.

All my best,
    Marie Gail

I bet IKEA has its share of “antique” models! I need to go get another chair there since our other one fell apart. Ha! Great story, Zombie!

16. Horus says:

Happiness comes from doing what you love – no matter how or what others feel about it ! ๐Ÿ™‚

17. Ha! Dream on, buddy; it doesn’t hurt. She needs to keep this to herself.

18. Pawan Hegde says:

It’s the thought that matters, not the object ๐Ÿ˜›
    Nice little story. I imagine this happens a lot with people. ๐Ÿ˜€

19. Wow, how many times has this happened, right?

20. Blake says:

Or perhaps it’s the IKEA logo that’s a forgery… Those factories in China will try anything!

21. hugmamma says:

I’m a fan of both…antiques and IKEA…depending upon its appropriateness to the decor…and the homeowners’ druthers. Good one!

22. kirizar says:

Just a delight. Probably the best blog post I’ve read today.