A Glimmer of Human Sedition

campfire

PHOTO PROMPT Copyright – Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

Doug cradled his coffee cup in his numb fingers as he warmed his weary bones beside the fire. Far to the east, a dome of light illuminated the night sky: The city from which they had fled, where electricity and heat and comfort were plentiful.

A fellow refugee glared at the dome and raised a clenched fist into the air. “Fucking robots.”

“Boys and girls,” said Doug, “the human race needs to fight back. It’s now or never.”

Gaunt faces all around nodded approval in the glow of the campfire. “Aye,” said one. None noticed the drone overhead.

An entry for this weeks Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle. The idea is to write, in 100 words or less, a story based on the week’s photo prompt. Thus far, I’m always over 100 words, although for this weeks entry I think I’m pretty much spot on. I never could keep my crayon inside the damn lines! 😛

This entry was posted in Science Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to A Glimmer of Human Sedition

1. ahtdoucette says:

Great take on the prompt. I love how it creates this apocalyptic feeling

2. Possibly Doug’s last coffee then?

3. Archon's Den says:

SkyNet is upon us. We’re all doomed. Thanx for the warning. 😆

4. Your mastery of the apocalyptic tale: the imagery, the emotion, the mood… is so spot on!

5. hafong says:

I feel as if I’ve been around that campfire before.

Lily

Yeeks, rise of the machines! It’s hard to escape such an enemy. Maybe they should have travelled a little further before lighting a fire and yelling obscenities – though I doubt they could ever have travelled far enough… 🙂

Aye, this is what will happen, Zombie! Oh no! Say it ain’t so. Your scene seems very likely and realistic. If the machines were to rise, what better place to contemplate it than over a fire such as this. I enjoyed this.

8. shanx says:

Very well written. The imagery, the mood, the discussion. Loved the last line 🙂

9. Alas this is happening already in some parts of the world…