Crusty Mavis vs. The Imbecile

salt evaporation ponds

Copyright – Dawn Q. Landau

Mavis’s leathery cheeks molded themselves into an almost imperceptible smile as she watched, through yellowed eyes, the commotion on the beach. Celebrity debutante Harris Pilton had arrived with her entourage that morning and was busy posing for her photo shoot.

The irony was not lost on Mavis. The older and wiser you get, the less people care what you have to say. Nobody paid much attention to Mavis as she tended the saltwater evaporation ponds. Yet down on the beach, throngs of people hung on every word from an imbecile.

Mavis didn’t mind: It was the way of things.

My contribution to this week’s Friday Fictioneers. Probably not my best. I looked at the photo this week and really drew a blank. 😦

This entry was posted in General Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Crusty Mavis vs. The Imbecile

1. Nice contrast between what’s real and what isn’t. And I love Harris Pilton! Reminds me of “pillock”, which might be apropos.

janet

2. So much truth in that. (Watch out for the lawyers.) Bravo.

3. Love the play on Paris Hilton. Wise piece.

4. P.S. Really like the title.

5. Seems to me that you certainly didn’t draw a blank! This has humor and some heart– a wonderful combination. Nice job!

6. K.Z. says:

tragic.
    lol at Harris Pilton 🙂

7. mscwhite says:

Add me to the group of people who love the title and the story! You painted a powerful portrait of Mavis and Pilton with so few words! Nicely done!

8. Perfect balance of wit and wisdom

9. Dear Zombie,

Mavis is a wise woman. I could picture the imbecile. And didn’t we hang on her every action and word? I’ll hand out quarters and we can all go buy a life.
    For someone drawing blanks you did quite well. 😉

Shalom,

It’s the little, unappreciated people who do what needs to be done with no fuss.

11. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Zebra Sierra,

This was well put together. Harris Pilton…Love her and the way you transposed letters. It’s imbeciles listening to the imbecile. That’s how we can tell them apart from those immune, like Mavis, to the siren’s song of mediocrity. And know whom to mate with. Great story.

Aloha,

Doug

12. I loved this story, especially Mavis’ reaction, her stoicism, her gentle, forgiving humor, her understanding of the vapid folly of humans, pursuing the famous for being famous.

13. Wow, brilliant use of wit to say something so important. Very clever and well written.

14. ahtdoucette says:

Yes, that is definitely the way of things. For some reason, I find myself thinking of Ayn Rand and what if all the “elite people” really did go on strike and leave the rest of the world to fend for themselves – and how that could just be a good thing (my response to her thesis). 😉 Thank God for all the lowly masses who do the work without the praise.

15. rgayer55 says:

I love the sly humor here. I’m always amazed at how (and why) people flock to imbeciles. Your title cracked me up too. Great job!

• Glad you liked it! 🙂

I’ve met a lot of Mavis types over the years, always with rich and colorful tales to tell. And then there are the Harris Pilton types, and they make me want to shake my head like Lurch from the Addam’s Family.

16. margirene says:

Oh yes, it is the way of things, sadly. Three cheers for Mavis and may she never falter. At least she’s getting her share of fame in your story. I like it.

17. P.S. Joshi says:

Z.S. That was great! 😀 Isn’t it always the way. We put people in boxes. Hopefully someone will come along and ask Mavis her opinion of life some day and she might become more famous than Harris Pilton. Well written. 🙂 —Susan

18. Indeed the world of the imbecile.. yet in the mind of Mavis in the likes we will always know the truth..

A unique take, Zombie. I liked it. That’s what great about these prompts. You just never know what you’re going to come up with. I think you painted a very realistic picture of the ridiculous media. Why do we listen to all these imbeciles anyway? I guess because they’re there.

20. wmqcolby says:

“Harris Pilton” hahahahaha! The conclusion of the story reminds me of that quote, attributed to Einstein, “Genius has its limits. Stupidity does not.”

Good story!