Space Invaders

bottles-marie-gail-stratford

PHOTO PROMPT Copyright – Marie Gail Stratford

The wine rack across the bar from me burst into all manner of groovy, swirling colors. “Whoa!” I said. “What do you call this shit again?”

“Space Invaders,” said Sal. “The latest in hallucinogenic malware. It’s kind of like LSD, except that it’s entirely electronic. The one I gave you is just a sample: It will auto-delete in five minutes.”

I rubbed my temple with my fingers. “It won’t damage my implant, will it?”

“Nah,” said Sal, as he turned into a giant yellow ball with a mouth.

“You’re a giant yellow ball with a mouth, Sal!”

“Heh heh!” said Sal. “I threw in a touch of the Pac Mans.”

I kind of struggled again this week with the Friday Fictioneers photo prompt. However, a theme I often play around with is the idea that, if future humans are augmented with electronic devices and implants, there will likely be associated malware, viruses, and illicit “drugs.” I put “drugs” in quotation marks because I’m not referring to conventional organic molecules here: I’m referring to electronic scripts that alter your perception by modifying the sensory information that gets sent to your brain. Enjoy! 😀

This entry was posted in Science Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Space Invaders

That’s a bit scary, I wouldn’t want my brain hacked 😦
    Fun story!

2. wildbilbo says:

Enjoyed the story, and the concept of hackable/corruptible ‘wetware’ in your brain is one I’ve tossed around in my mind before too :).

3. I think you might have foretold the future here. Nice story.

4. Excellent but frightening bit of electronic imagination, although probably not as “out there” as we’d like to believe.

janet

5. Ah.. sounds like a twitch of electronic soma .. I can foresee the terror of being hunted by pacman foes…

6. Swoosieque says:

Hahaha!! Now I want one about “Froggers,” remember them??? ;0

7. Archon's Den says:

Ah, a futurist in the crowd. I’m currently reading a book with this theme. Well presented. 🙂

8. dmmacilroy says:

Dear ZS,

Ever read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson?

Aloha,

Doug

9. dmmacilroy says:

P.S. Have you received your Soylent yet? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Not yet, but I did receive an email Sept. 19 saying that it would be shipping soon and asking me to confirm my email address. I only have a week’s worth coming, but I’ll probably follow that up with a month order.

I’ll blog regarding the taste and my first impressions when I get the stuff. As I understand it, follow up orders should be reasonably short, and they did stop early production for awhile to deal with start-up issues, which is why my order is so delayed.

10. Dear Zombie.

I knew it would come to this sooner or later. Cyber drugs which brought me cyber giggles. It’s the ball with a mouth that got me in the end. Well played.

shalom,

11. I enjoyed. As will my great grandchildren one day, if they’re lucky.

12. margirene says:

Sam’s a tricky character. He’ll need to keep an eye on him. I wonder what other samples he’ll want to try out on unsuspecting customers. Clever story.
    Marg

13. Nice little piece of SF, liked it a lot.

This is far out, Zombie! Genius take. It made me laugh. Nice call with the Pac Mans.

15. Cyber Drugs!!!! Cool! (or should I say groovy?)

16. I love your imagination. This was such fun!