Smoke It Up There, Kid!

Copyright -- Kent Bonham

Copyright — Kent Bonham

Brad could feel Marie’s eyes boring into him like a pair of surgical lasers.

Surrounded by children on Brad’s festively decorated and brightly lit porch, Marie stepped close and seethed into his ear: “God damn it, Brad, candy cigarettes are not appropriate to give to kids at Halloween.”

“They could be collector’s items, you know,” said Brad. “They’re pretty damn hard to find nowadays.”

“Find … something … else,” Marie seethed.

Brad disappeared into his house and returned after a moment with a jack-o’-lantern full of lollipops. The kids all grabbed fistfuls as Marie mouthed “Better!”

Brad’s margarita and piña colada lollipops likely contained no actual alcohol, but they were quite tasty and he really didn’t like just handing them out like that.

An entry to this week’s Friday Fictioneers photo prompt. A Halloween-type entry seemed appropriate for the first day of October. 🙂

This entry was posted in General Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Smoke It Up There, Kid!

1. R. E. Hunter says:

Hopefully he’s right about the alcohol 8^)

2. Hah! Great last line.

3. Dear Zombie,

I didn’t know they even made candy cigarettes anymore. Too bad about his personal lollipop stash. Nicely written.

Shalom,

4. dmmacilroy says:

Dear TUP,

Forget Soylent! I want a case of those lollipops. And you’re right about candy cigarettes. Definite collector’s item.

Aloha,

Doug

Poor Brad, Marie’s got him on a tight leash. She’s not wrong, though 🙂
    I hope there actually is no alcohol in them!

6. Oh, the sacrifice. But they’re still loaded in sugar, so which is worse? Nice job!

7. Love the combo… where there ever bad candies.. I do remember chocolate cigarettes… here in Sweden we still have licorice pipes though

8. margirene says:

Marie’s slipped up there – she should have done a taste check on the lollipops. Good that Brad had a bit of a guilt twinge afterwards. Good story.
    Marg

9. I’d forgotten about candy cigarettes. I have a picture of one of the boys on our block “smoking” one in a photo booth from when I was a kid. Fun!

Those lollipops would probably capture a good market if they had alcohol. I used to play with those candy cigarettes. They were a lot of fun and I never wanted to smoke, but I could see parents’ hesitation. You’re right, you don’t see them much. Great take and nicely written. Zombie.

11. Nan Falkner says:

I remember candy cigarettes – I haven’t seen any since I was in grade school – but, suckers full of liquor would be hard to resist. Good story and well done! Nan 🙂

12. Happy new year and best wishes to you and yours for health, happiness, peace & prosperity in 2015!